Friday, March 28, 2008

Free To Be Me

I have thought much about coming out at work, plotted, schemed – planned it like a surgical strike. But it seems that my planning was for naught. No, not a slip-up, not caught holding hands in an eatery. But as usual, I am ahead of the story.

My office manager is a sweet person and a friend; someone I would have been happy to share my new life with. The only reason I have not come out to her is that I no longer invite people into my closet and the doors are not scheduled for demolition for another three weeks. But we still talk and this week I make another reference to my separation. My office manager nods her head and reminds me that as long as I am happy, as long as I am comfortable with myself – well then it’s really okay with everyone.

I know this conversation, I know those comments. They are the comments I receive when I come out to someone. It is inescapable – she must know. A little later in the day our paths cross again, another quiet moment: I take the plunge. “It seems you have a theory of my separation.” She laughs and says “I figured it out a while ago.” It seems that a few people have, as I like to say, connected the dots.

Now to be honest, I have left quite the trail of bread crumbs. It is not that I wanted to be caught as much as I live my life openly. How many separated men still occasionally brown bag lunches made by the ex. And a room in her new house – office manager tells me that was the real lynchpin for her. And I do spend nights with a friend in the City – I never mention gender, but…….. And of late there is a picture across from my desk – two friends on vacation, bathing suits and baseball caps. Seems innocent enough…

But there is a piece of the equation that should have been obvious. I spend my days working with highly intelligent professionals trained to connect dots, to separate wheat from chaff, to not be fooled. And fooled they were not.

So it remains a quiet topic but it is clear: my co-workers know that I am gay. It has been seamless: I could not tell you when they figured it out, and I suspect in a sense neither could they. Our interactions are unchanged, it is a non-event.

And in this, my gratitude knows no bounds. I never wanted to come out – I just wanted to be out. It may seem like a fine distinction, but to me it is as different as night and day. Coming out has an element of being a “statement” and is frankly a personal matter. But being out is the ability to be myself without worry or self consciousness.


I am sure there will be bumps – this is real life and there is much prejudice still out there. But still every morning I walk into my office feeling neither shame nor pride. Just being me; and really that is more than enough.

4 comments:

Vic Mansfield said...

I think the distinction between "coming out" and "being out" is big. Coming out involves action and risk on our part. Being out just is. Coming out may allow us more control, in some sense, but it is sure scarier.

Another thing about coming out, though, is that it prevents living with the "don't ask, don't tell" atmosphere. Maybe they "know" but will someone ask or acknowledge openly our being gay? Maybe if we just say the word, others will have freedom to say it, too.

Blessings and Shalom to you!

A Troll At Sea said...

HakaN:

I think there is a reason that things work out for you. I couldn't go as far as to say that I know what the reason is, but surely there is a reason you have a room in your ex-wife's house and most of the rest of us don't.

More power to you.
Keep up the good work, whatever it is...

And yes, most people connected the dots long before we did...

T@C

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you. It must help you to sleep at night having this one less thing to worry about. Congratulations and it sounds like you work in a great place.

Francesca said...

Why can't it just always be this way?...a non-event...that's how it should be...a non-issue...for a person to just "be". It means a lot to be able to have things go this way. I'm glad it worked out like this for you...and wish it for so many others...maybe even myself.

Hugs!