Sunday, April 13, 2008

Pop Quiz

In my mind there is real confusion as to who “knows” and who does not at work. There is one woman who spends much of her time in another office but is still part of my “hood”. She is divorced and over the years she has turned to me for perspective – I have seen both sides of matters of divorce and children, issues which impact her. I always planned to come out to her, but by now she may very well know.

It is a Friday afternoon, the tail end of a long tax season. Carole sticks her head in to say good night; it being the end of my day also, I volunteer to walk out with her. I point out that I have to be at the railroad at 6:04 to pick up my friend. Her head cocks towards me, a smile brightens her face and she asks: “A friend – normally I don’t ask but…” And it is fair – our relationship warrants the question, and it is clear – she does not know. There is not much time to think, an answer, any answer is required.

I look at her and say “I guess you are out of the loop. I am gay, I’m meeting my boyfriend.” I briefly note that I don’t talk about it in general but some have figured it out without my assistance. She does not really register a reaction – no approval, no approbation. It is a quick walk to our cars. We wish each other a nice weekend. We drive off.

I feel bad in a sense – it is a lot to just drop out of the blue, it was such a fair and innocent question. But what other answer was there – I know of her dating, her boyfriend. The only other answer that comes to mind would be to lie and I just don’t do lies. Maybe there is something to be said for overtly coming out, letting people know (at least the ones that matter) where I stand. Then they can ask and I can answer or they can choose to maintain their silence and therefore allow for mine. Fifteen years later we know – or at least I believe – that don’t ask, don’t tell failed the military and I suspect it will over time also fail me.

This episode has solidified one thing – next week as long planned, I will cross paths with the senior partner. I will come out to him because as I keep learning, people will figure it out or put me in a position of telling them, neither of which is pro-active. And as James Baldwin said, “they don’t tell me, I tell them.”

There is an epilogue of sorts. The next day I sent Carole an e-mail, an apology for the way the conversation went, for dropping a bomb: no apologies for the content. And she responded that she too felt bad for having put me on the spot. She wishes me well, as good a result as could be hoped for. But still everything I have said still stands.

4 comments:

Vic Mansfield said...

I guess coming out is an ongoing thing. Hope it all goes well.

bear said...

Yeah, I've been metering it out still. I notice a lot of people feel guilty or are saddened to know. She might feel that way now. Just be careful who you tell, most discrimination laws don't cover gays from being discriminated...there's the story of a top saleswomen getting fired when work found she was participating in the gay olympics, her pink slip said as a reason: "the employee is gay."

Jen said...

I'm sorry you had to go through this.

Anonymous said...

Hello Nate. I am a married woman who just discovered my husband is bi. We just had a newborn together. I read some of your blogs. I feel scared, alone, and not sure what will happen to us in the future. I came across one of your blog where you indicate your ex wife Carrie has a blog. I felt you guys were in a similar situation to us, I would love to read her blog. If that is ok with you? May her blog help me feel a sense of connection to someone would went through it all since I don't have anyone to talk to it about in real life. Please email me even if the answer is a no and tell me why. Thanks. My email is theguyinthedark2002@yahoo.com